A house can feel like home when every fixture or piece of furniture contributes to its overall style and mood. But sometimes, even the very things we love fail to inspire or excite us. It’s easy for a room to feel dull. When you get to that point, it’s time to make some changes to spruce up your space.
Remodeling is about the little and large-scale changes. It takes proper planning and research. You can discover how to refresh home decor through research and exploration. For inspiration, you can create a vision board, visit craft stores or seek the opinion of an interior designer. Here are a few creative ways to spark new life into your home.
Bring Your Floors To Life
If you are unsure how to refresh home decor, a great place to start would be with the floors. Even if your floor is still functional, if it looks worn or outdated, it’s probably a great idea to remodel it.
It’s easy to ignore the floors while remodeling, but a revamped floor can improve the aesthetic of the house and its value. Here are some crucial steps when it comes to floor remodeling.
- Flooring Options: It’s important to have a clear picture of how you want your new floor to look. You can select one or different materials for your floors. Some materials include; tiles, laminate, carpet, stone, cork, and hardwood floor.
- Budget: Having a budget as you start your project is important. Consult a remodeling company or a designer to help you develop a realistic estimate for the project. Make plans based on your budget.
- Tear Out The Old Floor: The work begins by taking out the old floor. Depending on your preference, expertise, budget, and schedule, you can hire a contractor for the job or do it yourself.
- Preparation: Once the old floor is done away with, it’s time to prepare the subfloor. Get rid of the debris and clean the floor. You can get the services of professional floor cleaners for thorough work. Check for any damage, and there is fix the cracks and holes. Find a way to fix any damages, dehumidify the floor if damp, strengthen the floor if necessary and level the subfloor before working on the new floor.
- Install the New Floor: After the preparations, it’s time to install your new floor. It’s important not to be too hasty during floor installation. Take your time and work in portions. It may take a while, but it’s the best way to get great results. It’s important to lay out the whole floor before you begin installing to avoid uneven patterns. Even if the room is not evenly shaped, this process will allow you to create a pleasant and even design.
- Finishing Touch: Once you are done with floor installation, it is important to clean up any mess thoroughly. Trim rough edges to give a crisp and elegant finish. Give painted areas or adhesive-based flooring time to set.
Give Your Bathroom A Relaxing Ambience
The cost of remodeling a bathroom will vary based on the bathroom’s size and the remodeling project’s scale. A simple remodel can include fresh paint on the walls and refurbishing old fixtures, while a larger project would mean replacing most of the fixtures in the bathroom. For a smooth bath remodel, it’s best to work with a contractor.
Find many designs before beginning your project and settle for the one you like best. You can work with a remodeling company to help you get started. Most of these companies can even help you come up with a realistic budget for your project. Here are some essential details to include in your remodeling plan.
- Color Schemes: It can be difficult to settle on a color, but it is crucial. The theme color sets the tone for all the other fixtures and items in the bathroom. Color sets the tone for the ambiance in the room. You can spruce up your bathroom by adding bright or bold colors; you can even mix them up for a unique touch.
- Storage Spaces: You will need shelves and cabinets in your bathroom to hold towels, soaps, and other necessities. You can install new ones, especially if you want to maximize space, or you can refurbish old ones by adding a splash of paint or new and unique countertops. You can also install hooks that fit the aesthetic to hang towels to create more storage space.
- New Fixtures: You should decide beforehand what fixtures you want to replace. You may want a new shower head, bathtub, toilet, and new faucets for the sink. Be sure to choose the designs and sizes beforehand. Please make sure they are compatible with the aesthetic you are creating. It’s also important to opt for fixtures that are functional, affordable, and require little maintenance.
- Schedule: It’s important to have realistic standards when setting up a schedule for remodeling. Suppose the project was large-scale, then the estimated time is approximately three weeks or more, depending on unexpected delays. Consult a remodeling company to get the best results.
- Budget: Remodeling is expensive. It’s important to have a budget before you undertake any projects. Consult a remodeling company for an estimate of your project.
Add a Fresh Coat of Paint
Discover how to refresh home décor by repainting. It is a great way to revive a room. Paint adds color and life to a room. Repainting often seems like a simple enough task, especially for a simple project. A major renovation, however, needs to be calculated and everything well organized. Without the proper preparation, the project can fall flat on its face.
Repainting can involve the interior of the house, the exterior, or even both. It can add life to the home and is an excellent step if you intend to sell the property. When working on the interior, you can paint the walls, ceilings, shelves, cabinets, doors, and so much more. Larger-scale projects are quite intensive and require diligence and patience.
Although most people prefer DIY projects, it isn’t the best option for larger projects because they could take unreasonably long to complete. However, it’s best to seek affordable house painting services for a large-scale painting job.
Before you begin any serious painting work, have your color palettes ready. Plan what colors go where after considering aspects of the furniture, lighting, and other room decors that will need to blend or block with the room color. You can seek the advice of interior painters and designers from a reputable painting company to help. Here are some steps that many painters use to get their rooms ready for painting.
- Move Furniture: Moving them into another room is best to avoid staining or damaging precious furniture. For furniture that is too heavy to remove, move them away from the walls.
- Clear The Walls – Get rid of pictures, paintings, wallpaper, and anything else on the walls. You will need to work with a clear surface. It can also be a perfect opportunity to get new paintings and decor for the walls.
- Clean And Treat The Walls – It’s not uncommon to find walls riddled with mold or mildew. Clean any affected areas and treat to prevent the problem from persisting.
- Check And Repair Damage: Check the walls for any cracks or holes. These kinds of damages will prevent the walls from having a smooth finish. Repair the damage by filling up the cracks and holes for a clean finish.
- Wash The Walls: Getting rid of the grease and grime on the walls is important. Paint is more likely to adhere to a clean wall.
- Sand the Walls: Be sure to smooth out the uneven or rough areas of the wall. Doing this ensures a clean and smooth finish.
- Prime The Wall: It’s important to use a primer on parts of the walls that are stained. It would be best if you also used a primer on a wall that has never been painted.
Make Pretty Interiors Using Plywood
Wood adds such an exquisite finishing touch to a home. If you’re looking for how to refresh home decor, a great choice would be plywood. It is fairly affordable and can give a room much-needed elegance and texture. There are many ways you can incorporate plywood into your interior home decor.
- Wall Paneling: It’s a great alternative to drywall for a wall finish. Plywood is strong and easy to install. Homeowners can easily add screws to plywood walls, making them great for rooms with a lot to hang. Plywood has varying levels of thickness. Be sure to ask about the differences in thickness at a plywood store. These differences provide the users with lots of different options for wall remodeling.
- Wall Decor: Using plywood you can create art for your walls. These make dull walls come to life. You can try making your own, or you can opt to buy some at a craft shop.
- Shelves: You can create storage space using plywood. It can create a unique touch to a plain-looking room with just a little decoration.
- Kitchen Cabinets: Using plywood can create a unique look in a kitchen for those on a budget. Opting for marble or stainless steel countertops creates a unique finish. You can even make plywood as a theme for the whole kitchen, such that the kitchen island and chairs are also made of plywood. It has many advantages, one being that you can paint them to create a unique look. You can create a rustic or antique look by opting for a darker brown with some varnish. Or you can opt for a modern look with bold color.
Make An External Impression By Installing Unique Siding
Siding is an installation of material on the exterior of the house or building. It helps to protect the house from the elements. One of its greatest protective features is that it creates a watertight barrier. This barrier keeps rain, snow, and even harsh winds from entering the house. It also keeps out any debris, insects, and moisture from getting into the home.
Most homes have sidings installed but can have contractors remove them and install fresh ones. Many different materials are suitable for siding installations, including; wood, vinyl, and fiber cement. Sidings don’t just serve practical or functional purposes; they are also for aesthetic purposes. As you remodel the interior of the building, doing some work on the outside can also make the house stand out.
For siding installation, you may opt for a DIY project. In such a case, it is crucial to understand the ins and outs of removal, preparation, and installation. However, to avoid shoddy work, you may seek professional help. Here are some things to do if you are preparing your home for siding installation.
- Trim – Branches, long grass, and hedges that grow near the wall should be short enough to give the contractors an easy time while working. It makes clearing up much easier.
- Clear Exterior: Items such as flower pots, garden furniture, and equipment can get in the way of work. It’s best to move them away.
- Clear The Wall: Even though siding is done to the exterior, the movement and shaking can affect the hangings and nearby shelves. It’s best to remove them to prevent unnecessary damage.
- Clear The Driveway: Vehicles may get damaged by debris from the construction. The best way to deal with the issue is to keep vehicles as far away from the construction as possible.
- Keep Children and Pets Away: Children and pets may fail to recognize the dangers of playing near the construction area. To keep them safe, keep them away till the project is completed.
Typically, siding projects will take approximately two weeks. However, many other factors, such as the size of the house, will affect the time it takes.
Quality siding can increase the value of the property. If you are wondering how to refresh home decor, siding is a great option.
Remodeling is exciting for many reasons. The advantage is that you don’t need to change everything at once. You can work your way from room to room. Even in each room, you can take your time and enjoy the process of seeing your home evolve and every piece come to life.