Five Advantages of Choosing Bamboo Flooring

Written by Eric Brophy. Posted in Bamboo strand flooring, Matching bamboo flooring accessories, Strand bamboo flooring

Advantages of solid strand bamboo flooring

Finding a new flooring choice for your home can be a confusing process. There are so many types of flooring to choose from in the world. However, many homeowners have been making the switch to bamboo flooring for many reasons. Some will choose bamboo flooring because it is a more inexpensive option to hardwood floors. However, there are many more benefits to having bamboo flooring in your home. In this post, you will learn four important benefits of bamboo flooring.

  1. Environmentally Friendly: Bamboo flooring is far more environmentally friendly than hardwood flooring. A bamboo plant grows in a way that is very similar to how a lawn grows. The Moso Bamboo plant sends up new shoot once a year. It will only take about 5 years for these shoots to develop into culms. These culms are the part of the plant that can start the flooring production process. Research shows that only 16-20 percent of total bamboo crops are harvested, which leaves about 80 percent of the bamboo forest left entirely alone.
  2. Easy to Maintain: In most conditions, hardwood flooring can hold up to a wide variety of stains. However, if hardwood collects too much water, it can begin to warp. Solid srtand bamboo floor is a denser, harder flooring than hardwood. Harder woods will be able to handle spills and accidents without warping quickly. Another fear that wooden floor owners have are dents that can occur. However, bamboo flooring, being a harder type of wood, is less susceptible to damage from dents.
  3. Wide Selection of Flooring Options: There are many types of bamboo flooring available. In addition, many bamboo flooring brands are creating just about every type of bamboo floor imaginable. You can easily find as many color and stain options with bamboo flooring, as you could with hardwood options. You can easily find a bamboo floor selection that is right for you, whether you prefer lighter or darker shades.
  4. The Sturdiness of Materials: Solid strand bamboo flooring is one of the most sturdy flooring materials. In many cases, solid strand bamboo flooring is more sturdy than most hardwood flooring. A Janka rating is a number assigned to a material to determine its hardness. The higher Janka number a material has, the sturdier it is. An average Northern Red Oak has a Janka rating of around 1290 while North American Hard Maple will average around a 1450 Janka rating. However, natural solid strand bamboo flooring has an average Janka rating of 3780.
  5. Easy to Refinish: If you are a homeowner whose family makes a lot of foot traffic, you don’t have to worry. Bamboo floors can withstand dents, water, and foot traffic. If you have had your bamboo flooring fors a while, you can easily have it refinished. Having bamboo refinished isn’t always a necessary process. However, refinishing bamboo when it needs it can make your flooring look brand new once again.

In conclusion, there are many benefits associated with bamboo flooring. Harvesting bamboo does not require the type of widespread removal of trees that hardwood flooring does. Bamboo flooring is extremely easy to maintain, only requiring an occasional wipe down. One reason people want to choose hardwood is for the color options associated with this flooring type. However, many are unaware that bamboo flooring has many color and stain options associated with it. Solid strand bamboo flooring is one of the most durable types of wooden flooring you can find.

Eric Brophy

Eric Brophy

I’m Eric Brophy, a carpenter and homebuilder with 16 years experience doing the job right, the old-fashioned way. What they used to say is true — measure twice, cut once. If you plan out a project from the start, with blueprints, a bill of materials, the whole nine yards, you may seem to be wasting time at the start, but it’s time saved on having to do the job again when it just doesn’t fit. Whether you’re building in the city or off the grid, ground-up or touch-up, I can guarantee you’ll find home improvement tips for your next DIY project at home.

Trackback from your site.

Eric Brophy

Eric Brophy

I’m Eric Brophy, a carpenter and homebuilder with 16 years experience doing the job right, the old-fashioned way. What they used to say is true — measure twice, cut once. If you plan out a project from the start, with blueprints, a bill of materials, the whole nine yards, you may seem to be wasting time at the start, but it’s time saved on having to do the job again when it just doesn’t fit. Whether you’re building in the city or off the grid, ground-up or touch-up, I can guarantee you’ll find home improvement tips for your next DIY project at home.

Leave a comment

You must be logged in to post a comment.